.

A Radical Tree Pruning

The other day I mentioned something I've been putting off: a tree removal. It didn't take long but it was tough work especially the hauling away part. I don't own a chainsaw and just used an old bow saw that has been worth its weight in gold over the years.

The tree was a cedar. I don't know exactly what type but it could easily have grown to 40 feet or more in height over time. Well above a good height for a tree planted so close to the house. It's proximity to the house was the primary reason for removing the tree but it was also severely infested with bagworms.


I won't plant exactly in it's place due to its root system. I'll move a few more feet away from the house and plant a white dogwood that my wife has been wanting for a long time. We planted one once but the deer rubbed the bark off and destroyed the tree. The dogwood won't be prone to bagworms and is a much smaller tree than the cedar would have been.

Completing this chore brings up another project to add to the list: a latticework screen for the heating/AC unit! Boy are those things eyesores! (the Heater/Ac unit not the latticwork!)

A gardener's work never ends - I think I like it that way!