.

My Overwintering Coleus

'Henna' Coleus
When the outside temperatures began to drop in the fall I knew there were a few tender plants that I wanted to preserve for next year like my coleus. I brought 2 varieties of coleus indoors in the hopes of planting them again in the Spring of 2011 and both are doing good! I put the pot near a sunny southern window and one of them is thriving while the other is just getting by - but that's good enough to get it through the winter.



The thriving coleus is 'Henna' which has some really nice foliage. The underside of the leaves is a deep red color while the top side of each leaf right now is a shade of green When it receives more sunlight during the growing season the top side of each leaf gains a more reddish coloration.

'Alabama Sunset' Coleus
The other coleus I'm overwintering is 'Alabama Sunset'. 'Alabama Sunset' has some similar coloring to Henna in the red but the green is much more of a lime green and mixes with the red on both sides of the leaves with a mottled variegation. I saved two cuttings of this coleus and planted them in the same pot for space conservation reasons. When the last frost date gets close I'll make cuttings of the 'Alabama Sunset' and plant them outdoors.

The 'Henna' coleus will probably remain in its pot so that it can be easily moved around in the future. Coleus is a tender perennial and will stay alive as long as it isn't killed by the frosts! From what I've seen of 'Henna', it makes an excellent houseplant!

What plants did you overwinter this year?