.

Rooting Viburnums from Hardwood Cuttings

Rooting ViburnumAround Thanksgiving I took 6 small 4 node cuttings from a single viburnum at my in-law’s house. I don’t know what variety the viburnum but that doesn’t bother me, I can find out when the leaves begin to grow and the flowers start to bloom (which admittedly might be awhile). For now though I’ll just be happy to add six more plants to the garden.

Rooting Viburnum from Hardwood Cuttings
Of the six viburnums I rooted five had nice roots starting to emerge from between the bottom two nodes. As you can see in the top picture the cuttings had four nodes that I stuck in sand with two nodes under the sand. The top two nodes and maybe the third node should develop branches and leaves.


Rooting Viburnum from Hardwood Cuttings
I used rooting hormone when I took the cuttings and only used sand for the medium. I kept the cuttings in a warm and humid environment (our bathroom, my wife just loves this hobby! ;) The joke around our house is that we truly have a “garden tub” in our bathroom.). The first viburnum cutting I noticed rooting had roots about 10-14 days ago but I only recently potted them into pots in soil. That puts the time on rooting viburnums to about 6-7 weeks. I put five of the cuttings in the garage greenhouse (just a set of shelves with a plastic covering). The sixth cutting was starting to emerge with leaves and I felt it best to keep indoors until warmer weather arrives.

After I potted these viburnums and put them in the garage I took the hardwood cuttings I mentioned yesterday. There’s always something you can do in the garden!