.

What's Growing in My Garden?

I'm glad you asked! I've been updating you on the status of the raised bed garden over the last several days but I have mostly written about the structure of the garden like the mulched paths.  I haven't really written about what is growing in there.  It's time to remedy the situation!

The first picture is a little radish sprout. We grow these every year because they are very easy to do. Unfortunately I don't know very many ways to make use of a radish aside from salads or eating raw in dip. Still radishes are delicious and we like to have them around!

These little sugar snap pea sprouts aren't doing much for us yet. The peas just haven't grown as rapidly as I was hoping nor have they had a whole lot of success in the germination department. Two plants are coming up.  I wonder who snuck in to eat those peas I planted? Pesky rabbits! I planted the peas before I had the fence up. I'd better get some more peas out there but it might be too late.


And now for our perennial fruiting favorite the strawberry! I have one 4'x6' bed filled with strawberry plants. When I decided to remodel the garden area the strawberries had to be worked into the plan. I touched their bed last and moved the strawberries while dividing them at the same time. Before the division they occupied about 3'x4' of space, now they take up the whole bed.  Please forgive the dents in the soil, a neighbor's dog romped through the bed in the night and left depressions in my newly leveled soil. I'll have to wait until after the strawberries have produced this year to do any significant work on the soil.


Hopefully these strawberries are ready to produce their fruit this year. Strawberries produce runners that form new plants where they touch the ground making them one of the easiest plants to vegetatively propagate. As the bed fills with new strawberry plants I'll remove the older plants and allow the newly formed plants to prosper. Don't expect first year strawberry plants to produce anything significant. It's a good idea to remove the blossoms during the first year to send energy into the roots then the second year should produce a good crop.


Other vegetables not pictured in this post that are growing in the garden:

Garlic, Red Potatoes, Onions, Spinach, and Lettuce

The garden is growing, slowly, yet surely!