.

A Garden Mulch Calculator

While working on the list of things I need to complete my 48 Hour Blog Project I was trying to figure out how many bags of mulch I'll need for the planting areas and I came up with this little calculator. All you have to do is input the dimensions of the area followed by how deep you want the mulch and it will tell you the amount in cubic feet. Please keep in mind this is just an estimate!



How Much Mulch Do I Need?

Enter the area length (in feet):

Enter the area width (in feet):

Enter the mulch depth (in inches):



Mulch in Cubic Feet=


Mulch Don'ts
  • Don't mulch right up to the base of trees, leave a gap. Voles love the cover of mulch to get to the bark of trees.
  • Don't mulch more than 2-3 inches high around trees and shrubs.
  • Don't volcano the mulch around trees. It look silly and will suffocate the roots systems. Mt. Saint Helen's never spewed out Bradford Pears!



Since I am definitely not a talented html coder I adapted a script from: Science Buddies.