.

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - August 2012


It is amazing what can happen in one month.  Since the last Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, we are now getting rain.  I was beginning to believe that it would never rain and with a watering ban in effect, I worried if I would have much of a garden left it we did not get rain soon.  There were lessons to be learned in experiencing a drought and I am glad that I will not have to drag garden hoses around on a daily bases for awhile. 


The garden is responding very well to all the rain.  The grass is growing, flowers are starting to bloom again and some shrubs and plants are releafing with fresh new growth.  I have been busy deadheading, cutting back plants and cleaning up the garden.

After the spring garden tour, I had decided to take a break from the garden.  Then it happened! I was asked to host a very special event in the garden.   My answer was "Yes" to the event, but in my head, I was very unsure what to expect during a drought that was breaking records over a 100 years.  I can't tell you what it is, but check back this winter for several post on planning this type of special event in your garden.

Whats blooming in my garden? Take a look!


The  Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' are blooming very well in the garden.


 'The Fairy' roses are reblooming and several of my new roses are now showing buds.


Phlox and Obedient plants are now blooming and adding lots of  purple color to the garden.


 Several water lilies having been blooming in the fish ponds.


 The  Beauty Berry is now starting to form berries.  I think the berry clumps are smaller than prior years.


 The Anemones are in full bloom all through the garden.

This is a new project that I have been working on.  It is a miniature garden.  It is planted with moss, miniature trees and flowers, a fairy house (under construction) and a pond with two miniature waterfalls.  I still need to complete the house, add more moss and trees.  Then I will add miniature arbors, furniture and other items.  You will want to check back for future post on how to build a miniature garden.


In a past post, I wrote about the river I live on.  The invasive plant that is in the river has spread and now the river is covered with Duck Weed.  That solid color in the picture is all Duck Weed and it looks like a carpet of green.  I am looking forward to the first frost, when the cold will kill it all out for the year.

I hope that everyone is having a good year in the garden and those of you who are still not receiving rain, I feel your pain.

Happy Gardening!
The Creative Gardener