.

Propagating 'Shasta' Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum) from Cuttings

I have many favorite plants (as all gardeners can attest to) but I am really a big fan of viburnums. Many viburnums have showy flowers in the spring, leafy green foliage throughout the growing season, and great fall color. Some are evergreen, many provide food for the birds in the form of berries, and they are definitely fun to grow! I remember observing a house a few years ago that had a beautiful Shasta Viburnum planted on the corner of their house. The viburnum branches covered in blooms was an awesome sight that I wanted to duplicate in my garden. So duplicate it I did! I bought one 'Shasta' viburnum (Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum) and planted it on one corner of our backporch and this year started making cuttings.

Here's how I made the cuttings of the 'Shasta' Viburnum.

  • I took a 3 node cutting about 6 inches long from greenwood wood.
  • I removed all the leaves except for one or two at the top of the cutting. 
  • Dipped the end in rooting hormone and placed it in my sand medium.
  • This time I put the cuttings in a makeshift propagation chamber. (I'll post on that another day. It was made form two reused plastic containers - one to hold the sand and the other as a lid.)
  • In about 4 weeks I had some nice rooting on the viburnum cuttings. 
Score: 5 of 5 cuttings rooted.